· Students spent a little extra time this week in Chorus preparing for the concert. Witnessing first hand, I am seeing all their hard work and effort paying off. We have such a talented young class. If you haven’t already, be sure to mark your calendars for the concert: Thursday, January 16th at 7:00 pm at SPHS.
· During Math Workshop, students worked on factors using three specific methods. The methods included: using array, multiplication combinations, and the curtain method. Students did a great job using all methods throughout the week. As a class, we are finding parts of it challenging due to the emphasis on knowing our multiplication facts to find factors. To help strengthen our multiplication facts, we have done a lot of activities during morning meeting focusing on those skills and have worked together to come up with helpful strategies in remembering them.
· We covered a lot of ground with our Book Club this week and found some great descriptive vocabulary. We continued working on adjectives this week, in our book groups, writing, and the read aloud. We started a new book for read aloud, Among the Hidden. We are all looking forward in seeing how the story will unfold.
· This week we started looking at how Geology influences our lives. The students researched their own birthstones and found some great information about its origin and symbolism. Students also picked a profession they may pursue in the future to research, and how it uses Geology. I am excited to see what they find as we continue our research.
· On Wednesday you should have received your student’s progress report and portfolio. I hope the portfolio was a helpful tool in understanding your child’s progress up to this point. If you haven’t already, please send back your child’s portfolio by Monday. Please feel free to write any comments on your child’s portfolio on the back of this report. We’d love to know what you think.
· This week I have learned a new online resource called Blogger. I am going to attempt to use this as a classroom website, as it is easier to update than what I used formerly. It is still a work in progress, but please check it out if you have a chance: http://mrsmaxwellsfifthgradeclass.blogspot.com/