Thursday, May 25, 2017

Port Authority/Commercial St. Field Trip

We had a beautiful day for our Port Authority and Commercial Street field trip! The kids had a blast exploring Portland and touring the International Marine Terminal.  During the tour of Commercial Street kids were assigned various roles - Job Seeker, Food Seeker, Fun Seeker, Transportation Seeker, and Photographer. I asked the students to consider why someone would choose to live, work, and play in Portland, Maine. They were challenged with thinking about what makes living in Portland unique. With this information, they are building websites that seek to explain: Why Portland?

This work will provide important background information as we continue exploring the Geography of the regions of the United States. They will need consider why someone might choose to live, work, and play in a variety of places around the country.





 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I live in Cape Elizabeth with my husband, two daughters, and our cat Nessie. Our family loves to spend time outdoors together, camping, hiking, and gardening. Another past time of mine is triathlons. I have completed nine triathlons, including one Half Ironman. I loved swimming, biking, and running 70.3 miles! You might also find me cozied up with a good book in my free time. I have been teaching for 10 years in a variety of grade levels. Fifth grade is my favorite! The kids are capable of so much! I can't say I have a favorite subject to teach, but love getting students to think deeply. I enjoy getting kids to think critically and be creative in all subject areas. I often use simulations and project based learning to do this. Teambuilding and working on social skills in another major goal of mine. Teaching kids to work effectively together and use good communication skills will help prepare them for life after school.